Wednesday, October 28, 2009

001. The Much Required Intro...

About a Girl…
So first, a little bit about me. My name is Kristina, but you can call me Stina. I’m 25 years old, and I’m from the Chicago area. I work your run of the mill, sedentary office job, and I live in my (newly purchased!) condo with my boyfriend. I’ve been on my journey to a healthy life for just about 11 months now. Technically I started in August 2008 when I joined SparkPeople (A site to which I will devote an entire blog at some point.). I didn’t get serious about my journey until late December 2008/ January 2009. During this time I have learned so much about nutrition, exercise, life, and myself.

About a Blog…
I’ve decided to take a cue from my friend Laura and start a blog to chronicle my journey to a healthy lifestyle. I suppose my purpose here is two-fold. First, I think this is a great way to create a record for myself. I want to be able to look back at a tangible record of my progress. Second, I want to be able to share the things I’ve learned and inspire those around me. Anything I can do to make a difference in the life of someone is a good thing.

About a Girl’s Blog…
So, I want to take a minute to talk about the name of my blog, and how I decided on it. Names are important. Names provide identity. Names provide purpose. Names provide the ability to have dialogue about concepts. So where did the name come from and why is it important to me? A while ago my SparkFriend Kristina, posted a picture of gym shoes and the phrase “Fat Girl Can Run.” I found myself using that phrase in conversation with friends; however, it came out “Girl Can Run.” I’d evolved the phrase in my mind because I don’t see myself as “the fat girl.” Sure, other’s may see my like that (or may have previously), but I am so DONE Being the Fat Girl. In my mind I am not the fat girl, and so it’s just “Girl Can Run.” But my intention is for this blog to be about all aspects of my journey not just running. I decided to “Girl Can Run” wasn’t a good fit. “Girl Can…” however seemed perfect. How many times do we hold ourselves back because we are convinced we can’t do something? We don’t even try because we “know” we can’t. A huge part of this journey to a health lifestyle is believing you can do it. And so…”Girl Can…”

Girl Can Run
Girl Can Cook
Girl Can Do It.

2 comments:

  1. Love it, hun. I hope I remember to visit often! Also love the title of the blog! Girl can do anything!

    As for "Fat Girl Can Run," in some ways I wanted to take the power out of the word "fat" when I posted the "Fat Girl Can Run" shoes. Yes, I'm fat. And it hurt so much to be called fat when I was younger, but now I'm reclaiming it. Fat means nothing to me but an excess of body weight. I can do everything that Thin Girl can do. Girl can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO happy you started a blog! I'm sorry I'm just now reading it. My life is el hectic-o if you would like some spanglish in your life. But, I'm super excited to read your posts and watch you from another angle on this journey!

    Girls CAN do it!

    ReplyDelete