Thursday, January 14, 2010

070. Excuse Me While I Rant for a Moment

All politics aside, the healthcare system is so frustrating!

The other day at work, I noticed some pain in my wrist at work when I was using the two-hole punch. Later that night while I was Whittling My Middle, as I set myself up in plank, I got a sharp pain in my wrist and collapsed. There’s been a bit of a dull pain in my wrist ever since, and any time I put pressure on it, I get a sharp pain. Hello very first (since high school anyway) sport's injury!

I did a lot of Googling yesterday and I’m convinced I’ve got a small stress fracture in my right wrist. Everything I read about stress fractures lists symptoms as dull pain that worsen with exercise/ use – Bingo! I think it developed from too many planks and working on crane asana in yoga. That’s a lot of body weight on my hands/ wrists

Last night I went to yoga, but I took it very easy and was careful not to put pressure on my wrist. After class I swam for about 30 minutes. My wrist bothered me a little during both so on the way home I stopped at Walgreens bought an ACE bandage. I wrapped it and iced it last night. I’ve also got it wrapped today.

I decided it was probably time to see a doctor about it. I wasn’t really sure where to start so I figured primary care doctor. Making an appointment at my doctor’s office is always a frustrating experience. It’s usually a week before you can get an appointment, and the receptionists who answer the phone have such a horrible attitude. The tone in their voice makes it very clear they feel you are interrupting their day by calling. Today it was especially frustrating.

They wouldn’t give me an appointment. They told me it was probably tendonitis, to take some Advil and go get an x-ray at an urgent care center if it gets worse. I’m not convinced it is tendonitis. I have tendonitis in my elbows from years of swimming, and I know how that feels. This doesn’t feel the same or even similar.

Maybe it’s all my healthy-habits and my new awareness of what I’m putting in an on my body, but that just doesn’t make sense to me. I’m trying to be proactive, and I’m being told ‘No, come back when you’ve got a problem.’ They want me to take Advil which will make the pain go away, but it won’t do anything to solve the problem. It will simply mask the symptoms until the problem is more severe.

I’m in pain right now. That means there’s a problem right now.

I would really prefer not to end up with a broken wrist from what started out as a small stress fracture.
The getting an x-ray and the urgent care center is an entirely separate issue. I'm still trying to work out an issue between my insurance company and Palos Community Hospital to get my last urgent care visit paid for rather than having to pay $151 out of pocket! (I had to go in July for strep throat and a wicked ear infection.) The last thing I want to do is go back to the urgent care center and create another billing/ insurance issue for myself!

So, I’m doing the best I can. Right now, I don’t want to take medication for it. I’m going to continue to do modified planks when doing Whittle my Middle and take it easy in my yoga classes – no more cranes for a while – and strength training. I’ll keep it wrapped and keep icing it. I’m also going to look into other possible holistic approaches to treating it. If you have any suggestions, please throw them my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment